Claiming Universal Credit and other benefits if you are a refugee

Urgent actions refugees need to do to claim Universal Credit and other benefits, once they have been granted leave to remain in the UK.



When you get your Biometric Residency Permit (BRP) your asylum support from the Home Office (money and accommodation) will stop after 28 days. This information explains what you need to do now.

Published 1 October 2019
Last updated 1 December 2023 + show all updates
  1. Updated the guidance about National Insurance numbers to explain that DWP will tell you how to apply for a National Insurance number as part of your claim for benefits.

  2. Removed the wording 'You will not get a sanction if you cannot keep to your Claimant Commitment because of coronavirus (COVID-19)'.

  3. First published.