Download map (PDF)

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against all travel to:

  • the provinces of Kasaï Oriental, Haut-Uele, Haut Lomami, Ituri, North Kivu. South Kivu (except the city of Bukavu - see below), Maniema and Tanganyika in eastern DRC
  • within 50km of the border with the Central African Republic and South Sudan

The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to:

  • the city of Bukavu in South Kivu province
  • the districts of N’djili and Kimbanseke in Kinshasa, both of which are south of the main access road to N’djili airport (located in Nsele district)
  • the provinces of Kasaï and Kasaï Central
  • the territory of Kwamouth (located in Mai-Ndombe province)
  • the city of Goma in North Kivu province

Before you travel, check the ‘Entry requirements’ section for Democratic Republic of the Congo’s current entry restrictions and requirements. These may change with little warning. Monitor this advice for the latest updates and stay in contact with your travel provider.

If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting.

It is more important than ever to get travel insurance and check it provides sufficient cover. See the FCDO’s guidance on foreign travel insurance.

DRCFollowing isthe scheduleddeath toof holdpolitician Presidential,Chérubin ParliamentaryOkende andon some13 localJuly elections2023 onthere 20have Decemberbeen 2023.small Inprotests thein pre-electionKinshasa period,and therecalls for public demonstrations in Lubumbashi. There is an increased likelihood of protestsfurther and demonstrations linked to this event in KinshasaKinshasa, Lubumbashi and other major population centres.centres Seeover Proteststhe andcoming days. Public demonstrations may occur with little notice and have the potential to quickly turn violent. We advise all British Nationals to remain vigilant and avoid large public gatherings or demonstrations.

Fighting between local militia and Congolese Armed Forces has been reported (May 2023) on RN1 in the vicinity of Kenge 270km east of Kinshasa. There are checkpoints on the road and reports of access being blocked. People are being advised by the authorities to only travel during daylight hours.

After heavy rains on 3 May 2023, flooding and landslides have affected several territories in South Kivu Province, eastern DRC.DRC. At least 400 people are known to have died. There is potential for further floods and landslides during the rainy season. See Natural disasters and Safety and security

The security situation in eastern DRC,DRC, including around the city of Goma remains unstable and subject to rapid change. See Safety and security.

In eastern DRC there are continued reports of attacks and kidnappings. See Safety and security

Inter-communal violence between ethnic groups over land in Kwamouth territory of Mai-Ndombe province has been ongoing since August 2022. See Inter-communal violence

On 22 May 2021, Mount Nyiragongo volcano, close to the city of Goma, and near the border with Rwanda erupted. Further volcanic activity is possible in future. See Natural disasters

Consular support is severely limited in parts of DRC.DRC. The lack of infrastructure throughout the country and insecurity in eastern DRC often prevent the British Embassy in Kinshasa from being able to extend normal levels of consular assistance to British nationals anywhere in the DRC other than Kinshasa. You should not assume that the FCDO will be able to provide assistance to leave the country in the event of serious unrest or crisis.

Street crime and robbery is common. You should avoid using any taxis in DRC.DRC. If you must take a taxi, use a privately booked one. Don’t hail taxis in the street. Beware of gangs promising you cut price gold and diamonds. See Crime

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in the DRC.DRC. Attacks could be indiscriminate. You should be vigilant, especially in places visited by foreigners. See Terrorism

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.